Naming a puppy could either be a smooth ride or a very bumpy one.
Sometimes pet parents come up with the perfect idea, other times you hear one of the most offensive, terrible, and worst dog names that would make you raise an eyebrow.
Of course, bad and inappropriate dog names are subjective, but we all know there are some names you wouldn’t want to scream out at the park.
From the inappropriate to the boring, here’s a list of the worst dog names you should avoid giving your new pup.
If you want to get a dog, at least give it a decent, creative, and interesting name. Leave out the cringey and dull ones, please.
Worst Dog Names
The dog names under this category don’t seem so bad. But that’s because they’re actually, well, the “worst”.
Do your dog a favor and avoid these awkward, boring names for dogs.
1. Dog (yes, this still happens in 2022)
5. Chien (the French version doesn’t change anything)
6. Askim (apparently, it’s supposed to be a funny joke, like “what’s his name?” “Askim”)
9. Sonic (the hedgehog?)
10. Monday (or any day of the week, even. You’re not pet parenting a calendar.)
16. Lucky (why not add charm, while you’re at it?)
20. Flea (your dog would have you sued for this if it could speak human)
21. Hereboy (no kidding, huh?)
25. Lil D’
26. D.O.G (when I say D, you say “no!”, and this applies to the junk right above.)
27. Lizard (you may think it’s funny, but look at the picture below and tell us what you think)
34. Boo Boo (cringe!)
35. Scooby-Doo (no, really?)
37. Wolf (At this point, perhaps we should just ban calling a dog another animal.)
Inappropriate Dog Names
While the last section had a list of boring, overused, and boring names, this section contains inappropriate dog names that would make people give you strange looks.
41. Al Coholic
42. Daddy/Mummy (Nah, this is just unhealthy)
45. Bae/Sweetheart/Darling (What’s next, you put a ring on it?)
48. Prince Charming (Oh wow. Let me guess, you must be Cinderella.)
50. Voldemort (Your dog must not be named this)
55. Beyonce (Just so you know, naming your dog after a celebrity is not a compliment)
61. Meow (we’ll be seeing you in court if you use this)
62. Speed Bump
65. Segzy Legs (try saying this with a straight face)
68. Death (Ever considered, Uhm, seeing a therapist?)
70. “Your neighbor/spouse/colleague/ex name” (do not be so petty)
72. Adolf (same with Nazi, especially for a German Shepherd. You don’t have to be so controversial.)
76. Cruella de Vil (Smart? Yes, but still inappropriate.)
70. Jack the Ripper (because naming your dog after a serial killer is not a good idea.)
80. War (NO! We want peace!)
Offensive Dog Names
Dogs are meant to be sweet animals, and their names should reflect that.
Don’t be a jerk and select what you know will offend many people out there. It isn’t worth it. We’ve already got too much hate, as it is.
Below are some of the offensive dog names you should steer clear of.
81. Satan (not normal at all)
87. Slave (give this to a black dog and you could get arrested. No jokes.)
89. Bin Laden (No sir, not in America)
92. Syndrome (It’s supposed to be a joke like “down, Syndrome!”, but we’re not laughing)
97. Atomic Bomb
101. Bitch (We know a female dog is a bitch, you just don’t have to use it as a name.)
107. Stupid (Another terrible joke. “Down, stupid!”, “Sit, stupid.”)
120. Your Mom
Terrible Dog Names
These names are polite and do seem creative, but you can do better than them. You have other options out there.
121. Lord Winterbottom
122. Honey Boo Boo ( Because Boo boo is not cringey enough, eh?)
123. Whatchamacallit (How about a real name? Just saying.)
124. Tyrannosaurus Rex
127. Chummy Chum
128. Peanut Wigglebutt (We didn’t make this up).
129. Otto Von Longdog
131. Refrigerator (Now this is sad)
132. Sir Hog Knucklehead
133. Sasha Biggiepotamus Fierce
135. Dump Truck
136. Pig (Again, why would you name your dog after an animal?)
137. Canine Dion (Bad pun sighted)
138. Bark Twain
139. Abcde (Wow. So original)
141. Clingy Nut Ball
142. Merciless (Are you trying to scare us?)
143. Poop Snacker (Yeeeeeah…okay)
144. Stinky Poop Pup
145. Chew Barka
146. Doc Howliday
147. Dog Marley (who in the world creates these names?)
148. Stinky Monkey
149. Sir Barksalot
150. Buttercup Smoochie
151. Hank the Tank
Naming your dog can be fun, but giving an inappropriate dog name to your pooch isn’t.
Your pup deserves a name that’s interesting, creative, comfortable to use, and polite.
You’d be doing yourself and your dog a great disservice by giving a name you’d have to apologize for in the future.
Here’re some great names to consider:
Also, if you already made the mistake of giving one of the bad dog names to your pooch, and you’ll like to fix it, these pro tips on how to rename a dog might come in handy.